???? BITES & STINGS ????
In Australia, we are surrounded by insects and beasties due to the lovely warm and sometimes tropical climate. However, first of all, let’s remember that most insect bites and stings are not poisonous. Below you will find some signs, symptoms and treatments for bites and stings, including what to WATCH OUT for!
The picture is a suspected Whitetail Spider bite on my good friends 2 year old girl. The ulcer formed overnight. This is when the skin breaks down due to the bite and venom.
Some signs and symptoms of an insect bite can be –
∙ Painful itchy lesion at the site of the bite
∙ Swelling and redness
∙ Sometimes a blister
∙ Hives or rash (sometimes widespread)
∙ Sometimes the area can get worse over hours or days
Sometimes an insect bite or sting can cause a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) signs of this can include –
∙ Coughing &/or wheezing
∙ Difficulty breathing or swallowing
∙ A change in their voice/cry
∙ Swelling of the tongue
∙ Dizziness (older child)
∙Pale or floppy (younger child)
∙ Abdominal pain/vomiting (not a sign of anaphylaxis with food but is in stings and bites)
If your child has any of the symptoms of anaphylaxis above, call an ambulance immediately ????
If your child is stung by a bee ???? Carefully scrape the sing out, do not pinch it. This could cause more poison to be injected.
What can you do?
∙ Wash the area with cool water
∙ Apply a cold flannel to help with pain or swelling
∙ Elevate the limb if there is swelling
∙ You can give antihistamines or pain relief &/or apply a steroid cream for relief.
Remember: At the first signs of a severe allergic reaction, call an ambulance.
Grab our FREE First Aid Pocketbook today and keep all your child first aid answers at your fingertips!